As a blogger, you know that content is one of your biggest tools. It drives traffic. It provides your audience with the value and information they seek. It also helps you market your links, products or services. Content is essential for a blogger. Planning your content is going to keep your traffic rolling during the summer.
What Is Content Planning?
Content planning is simply the process of taking a look at your calendar and deciding what to write and where to publish it. Content planning involves a few primary criteria.
- When will you publish the content?
- Where will you publish it?
- What will you write about?
- What’s the purpose of the content?
- What are your keywords?
- How can you repurpose the content?
Planning the year works great, but can get overwhelming. Don’t fear, not everyone plans the same way. The key is GETTING a plan and following through. Set a 3 month plan starting today. June, July, August are the summer months, now figure out your plan of attack.
If you don’t plan your content or are struggling to plan it effectively, consider the following tips:
* Use a calendar that gives you a big picture and you can write on. A paper desk calendar is a great planning tool. You can write your content ideas in pencil for easy modifications. Then, if you prefer electronic organization, you can transfer the paper plan to your Outlook or google calendar.
* Plan how you’ll integrate your content into your marketing strategy. For example, you could decide that July you are going to guest blog. You’ll also want to make sure this content ties into content you will be using on your site. This way when people click to your blog for more info, it takes them to the same topic.
You’ll also want to ensure it supports any new products or services. You want to make sure your content has a purpose. It may be simply to drive traffic to your website. Or it may be to drive traffic to a sales page or increase your opt-ins.
* Leave room for change. The best content plans leave room for inspiration. The greatest ideas often come out of the blue. If you’re a stickler for your plan and don’t allow room to add your content inspiration into the mix, then you’re missing out.
* Finally, don’t forget to take a look at how you can repurpose your content. It’s not only a great way to get the most return on investment, it can help fill content gaps.
When you plan your content, make sure you’re looking at both the macro and micro picture. Make sure you look ahead and take the entire year into consideration. At the same time, plan your content right down to the keywords and topics.
Planning your content for the summer should only take you an hour or two if you focus. Instead of wondering what you’re going to write about, you’ll have the answers all worked out. Best of all, your content will fit with your other marketing efforts to create a comprehensive business growth plan.
Need further help in planning your best summer ever? Download the Summer Motivation Workshop and get your plan in place today.